Monday, November 15, 2021

Where I'm From






I am from a brown, cedar shake house, set back from the road.

From the shade of the front yard oak tree, 

and the thrilling highest branches of the Windy Tree out back.

I am from the creek and the woods

and riding bikes around the neighborhood.

From sledding down the driveway and swimming in the pool until my hair turned green.

I am from a nurse and a construction worker

who left in the dark early mornings 

but always sat down to dinner at night.

I am from, "Get your elbows off the table," and "Eat your vegetables."

And also from staring at my vegetables until long after they grew cold.

I am from 10:30 mass,

Third pew on the left-hand side, just in front of the choir.

I am from The Group

a friend-family with its gaggle of unrelated cousins 

playing in basements, running through campgrounds, and eating crumb cake after church 

while our parents talked and drank and laughed.

I am from Anne Murray, John Denver, Billy Joel, and Kenny Rogers,

And from making up dances in the basement with my sister.

I'm from huge, Brooklyn, Sunday family dinners 

And Grandma's round house on Shickshinny Lake.

I am from Girl Scouts, CYO Basketball, and CCD.

I am from the second chair of the flute section

and the cast of the school play. 

I am from magical Christmases.

I am from family,

I am from love.

I am from Home.





No comments:

Post a Comment